Rabu, 29 Juni 2011

Bali Traffic

Driving in Bali
I earlier wrote a hub about ‘Live in Bali, but before you go’ explaining a bit about what you need to think of before you go. I am going to follow up with a series of hubs about Bali, from hotels, ceremonies, night life, snorkeling and other activities that include life in Indonesia, in particular Bali. Here my hub about driving in Bali.
Driving
Driving in Bali is not for the faint hearted. There are many dangers on the streets of Bali that are unseen on any other (western) road. Let me enlighten you a bit so when you come, you come prepared!
License and tips

First things first, whenever you drive

When you come to Bali as a tourist and before you even set foot on the island, prepare a driver’s license. This is very important! If you even begin to think about driving a car or renting a motorcycle, prepare this before you go. This will prevent you from any possible hassle with the police. Your local travel agency or the links given in this HUB will give you information on how to acquire an international driver’s license.
Roads
The roads in Bali are not all well paved. Unlike a touristic island where one might expect some decent roads, aside from trash, this is another issue that should be sorted asap. However, it seems to be something that is hard to realize. There are holes in the street, a couple of inches deep that might trip even the most avid driver. When you are a bit of a dreamer on the street, it might cost you an arm and a leg. It has been on more than one occassion that I literally had to jerk the wheel to avoid driving in a hole!
Rules
Remember when you went for your driver’s license? Theory class, exam and of course an examiner that was sitting next to you watching your every move? I remember my examiner that flunked me for following a truck. The light when green and the truck I was behind was first in line. I followed the truck, not too close of course, but was STOPPED by the examiner. Why? Because he thought I could not possibly have seen the green light because it was a ‘high’ truck and therefore the visibility of the traffic lights was nil. Failed.
Animals
You will sooner or later come fast to fast with some two or even four legged creatures on the street. Stray dogs are a notorious for causing accidents. On the main roads it is not that common that a dog will try to cross the road, but on the little streets dogs some to literally wait to give you a little bite. This can sometimes turn into hilarious situations with people trying to balance on their scooter and with one leg trying to kick away the dog..
Snakes or not very common although you occasionally see one in the sawa’s/ rice paddies. Rats are common as well but they will only shock you for a moment, just drive over them. :) I say that not because I hate rats or anything, but it’s better to drive straight over them than trying to avoid a crossing rat and get into an accident yourself.. ‘what happened?’ ‘yeah, this rat you know’.. Nope, not cool!
Fellow road users
I already mentioned it a bit. Fellow road users and by them I mean the local people. They are ‘capable’ to drive very weird and annoying, yet seem to be non-aggressive. They like to horn and do only to give little ‘warning’ signs. I know for a fact that when you horn in The Netherlands, you might end up in a fight because it is VERY impolite. Here it is something very ‘normal’ to do.
Be careful, try not to drive as locals or even like me. I drive like a nutcase as well.
Weather
The weather is hot. Before I mentioned the average tourist will go in a bikini or with a bare chest on their scooter. If you do so, you will get sun burned. I always think it is funny, because Indonesians will always cover up with something like a long sleeve or even a jacket. This is to protect themselves from the sun, they don’t like to have a very black skin. Just have a look at the picture at the top of the page and you’ll notice everyone is covered up, except for… Although I must agree, a leather jacket with 30+ degrees is too much. Either case, if you do go pec show, where some proper sunscreen.. Like, factor 40 or something.
Please wear at least a shirt, going on a scooter with a bare chest just looks silly.
Traffic jams
Road tend to get clogged up very easily. Especially during high season, it is almost impossible to drive around the Kuta area. If you are coming out here during Christmas, be warned. A trip as little as 2km through Kuta, might take you up to an hour in a cab. This is because most ways are one way streets in Kuta.

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar